Free, fresh groceries weekly
A few years ago LIVING EDGE recognized the growing need among working families, single parents, the elderly, students and others for free, fresh groceries in the suburbs of Victoria. Together with various churches in the city, a partnership was developed where LIVING EDGE supply the food, expertise and training, while churches support with volunteers, location and other logistical requirements. It’s been an amazing partnership with churches across the city as many people benefit from free, fresh produce weekly in an increasingly more difficult economy.
Our original “Neighbourhood Market” started in these humble beginnings under tents and with a handful of committed volunteers. Known previously as ‘MarketPlace’, we still serve many working families, the elderly, and many on disability in the downtown core through this outlet.
- “I’ve been on disability for many years and have been coming down to the market for a couple years now. I am very grateful for the availability of fresh food as it’s not always possible for me to buy fresh groceries. Thank you LIVING EDGE for all you do for those “living-on-the-edge.”
This recent outlet serves mostly the residents of 55+ buildings in the area, but anyone from the neighbourhood is always welcome. There’s a vibrant “community” that has developed at the market – a natural gathering point for those living in the building.
- “I live on a small government pension and hardly have enough money for groceries. I am so thankful for the support from LIVING EDGE and the fresh food the weekly market provides”
Another new Neighbourhood Market. Praise the Lord! At Central Baptist Church, this market serves the heart of downtown … with heart!
Corner of Goldstream Ave & Veteran’s Memorial
679 Goldstream Ave.
Hosted by: Open Gate Church
Fridays 12 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Many working families, and those living on disability and fixed income are benefiting hugely from the recently opened Market in Langford.
- “I just want you to know that I sent a client in great need to your service today, and he was so thrilled that he sent me a photo of what he got and told me that “some days are good days” – I am astonished at how much food he got for his family, and I am so touched and thankful by your service – it is so wonderful to get good news in this day and age. Thank you to you and all your workers – you truly are making a HUGE difference!”
Royal Oak Area
Gateway Baptist Church
898 Royal Oak Ave
Tuesdays 5:00 – 6:00 pm
- “Before I started coming to the Market in July, I was really struggling to get by each month especially as the cost of groceries continued to climb. After rent, storage and some menial work I was barely able to cover expenses. Since then, I’ve been attending the market weekly and it has made it so much easier to survive and even stay healthy. I’m very thankful for this service & everyone that takes part in it! Thank-you very much all of you & may God Bless You All.”
- “Thank you for the neighbourhood market. Our family has not only benefited by this service but we have been able to pass out additional items we receive to those who can use a helping hand but are unable to come. The lettuce alone helped 4 families!”
- “Your line up of warmth and food will be a welcome and needed support for families this winter. Thanks so much for all you do, it reminds me of the true and authentic role of the church, it’s heartwarming.”
Central Saanich Area
Saanich Baptist Church
7577 Wallace Drive
Thursdays 5:30 – 6:30 pm
(Sept-April) 11 am – 1 pm
- “I’ve been in Victoria since the last university semester and didn’t quite realize how expensive it is to live here. I’m part of a commune and we hardly ever bought fresh vegetables and fruit – now we can get what we need every week! It’s amazing.”
- “This really is a great place to hang-out. I love the student dinners and I’m impressed that they are not only recycling food that would normally go to waste, but also helping struggling students like me”